Never fear you will not be left out this year as the rest of the family flips their tasty homemade pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. This recipe is so delicious no one will ever know it is Gluten Free!
These naturally gluten free pancakes have as slightly heavier more savoury taste than traditional pancakes, great all year round as a breakfast option or a dessert. They are fantastic comfort food and give you a sweet treat without the blood glucose crash and burn or the tummy bloating many get from wheat. I use goats milk in my recipes as many gluten intolerant tummies tend to aslo be lactose sensitive. However many can still tolerate Goat’s products due to the difference in its molecular structure! For those also avoiding dairy you can use coconut milk.
Image supplied by Martin
1 tbsp Organic Goat’s Butter or Coconut Oil
50g Organic Buckwheat Flour
190ml Organic Goat’s Milk Rice Milk or Coconut Milk
1 Organic Egg
Seasonal Organic Fruits
Raw Organic Honey
Organic Goat’s Yogurt
- Whisk the flour, egg and milk together until you have a smooth paste.
- If you want to make lighter ‘crepes’ then add a little extra water at this point to make a thinner batter, note that if using rice milk or coconut milm the mixture will naturally be thinner.
- Heat a teaspoon of coconut oil or butter at a time in a small frying pan and swirl around to cover the base. NOTE: the size of your pan will determine the size of your pancake, so if you want small thick ones go for a smaller pan.
- Add enough batter to cover the base of the pan, tilting to spread evenly and fry until golden underneath and then turn or flip gently and fry on the other side until golden and cooked through (they are quite delicate at this stage) but well worth the effort!
- Repeat this process, adding more oil when needed, you can keep them warm in a pre-heated oven or eat them while you go.
- Serve with topped with fresh seasonal fruit, yogurt and a small drizzle of honey. Or in classic style a squeeze of lemon and honey.